Wednesday 14 May 2014

What Brings Me Down - DBlog Week Day 3



Our topic for today is What Brings Me Down. May is Mental Health Month so now seems like a great time to explore the emotional side of living with, or caring for someone with, diabetes. What things can make dealing with diabetes an emotional issue for you and / or your loved one, and how do you cope? (Thanks go out to Scott of Strangely Diabetic for coordinating this topic.)


Where do you start with a topic like this huh? :)

I don't think I've fully come to terms with my diagnosis (despite nearly spending 5 years with D), which is the first time I've actually admitted it other than to my other half... I got diagnosed after a whirlwind of weight loss and excessive thirst, spent less than 24 hours in hospital and with that I was injecting insulin and part of the club. 

Just thinking about how quickly it all happened can still easily get me misty eyed, and the fact I can't remember what my life was like with food before my diagnosis is a sad one. People ask how it feels having it. I tend to say , it's like applying the same level of concentration when you're driving, but 24/7/365 for the rest of your life.

What gets me down more than the highs/lows, feeling like a constant failure or a burden to my loved ones, is the fact that I will more than likely have to cope with this until I die. For me that image brings up a tiny little me stood in front of Mount Everest, or as I described it yesterday 5 years out of my jail sentence. 

I've had co-workers say to me, oh they'll find a cure in a few years I'm sure :)
... I'm sure people in the 60's/70's/80's/90's were all told the same thing!

On a lighter note.. One thing that always picks me up is John. He is always there to cuddle me and tell me it'll be okay, that we're the double act and D is just a pesky tag-along... Just wish the pesky tag-along would piss off! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment