Monday 16 May 2016

DBlog Week - Message Monday

Today is the first day of the seventh #DBlogWeek lovingly looked after by Karen every year to bring us nutty PWD together across the continents to share our emotions and experiences living with this condition.

"Lets kick off the week by talking about why we are here, in the diabetes blog space. What is the most important diabetes awareness message to you? Why is that message important for you, and what are you trying to accomplish by sharing it on your blog?"

I started my blog primarily because at the time there didn't seem to be that many UK bloggers that I knew of. I thought that if one person found my blog and it helped even in a teeny tiny way or put someone straight on a stupid diabetes myth, then I'd be pretty chuffed :)

Diabetes is such a big part of your life that for me personally I get worried I'm talking about it too much. When people ask how you are it's not normally a simple yes or no, so I just answer yes. It was lovely to have a blank page to write about my Diabetes, how I was feeling and how it was affecting me and the people around me. Granted I don't update it as much as I'd like to, at the moment I'm in the last stages of planning my wedding and am a few months into a very new and demanding job role. But my blog is always here for me when I need it, like a comfy pair of slippers.

I find writing therapeutic and when someone tweets or comments saying "Me too!" it just make you feel... normal? Less lonely? 

If you don't blog but you're considering then I'd recommend it. You don't have to publish them or share them with the online community, sometimes it's just good to let it all out. It's surprising sometimes how much you have to write! 

You can find more Message Monday posts listed here.

What is Diabetes Blog Week?  Click here for an explanation and to sign up.  You can also check out the Participant’s Lishere.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Yes, exactly how I feel...it's nice to feel less lonely with diabetes!

Frank said...

I agree. Finding the diabetes online community has helped me to realise that I am not alone in this. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ashleigh said...

I like the likening of writing to a pair of comfy slippers. A very nice way to think of writing to release emotion.

Rachel said...

Agreed! The "me too" factor is so important.

Post a Comment